Skip Navigation Links
Borough Information
Local Information
Contact Us


Code Enforcement Department Frequently Asked Questions

1. How do I contact the code officer?

Call the code office at 724-588-4193 extension 401. The code officer is available Monday – Friday 8:00am-4:30pm.

2. What are the two types of building permits in the Borough?

Borough of Greenville Permits - Small projects, like a small storage shed, only require the code officer to inspect your “set backs,” the amount of space you have between new shed and your neighbor’s property line. All roofing projects require a Borough of Greenville building permit. If you are unsure if you need a permit please do call the code office.

Pennsylvania Construction Inspection (PCI) Permits - Large projects, like new electrical service, a new garage and any changes to the existing structure, like enlarging a window, do require inspections. The Borough has hired Pennsylvania Construction Inspection (PCI) to handle these projects. Just pick up an application in the Borough office, fill it out, including a drawing or blueprints of the project, and return it to the Borough. Pennsylvania Construction Inspection (PCI) calculates their fee, which is paid when you pick up your building permit. From that point you have direct contact with Pennsylvania Construction Inspection (PCI) to answer any questions and perform your inspections.

Fire Department Frequently Asked Questions

1. How do I report a fire hazard or fire code violation?

A citizen can report a potential fire hazard, unsafe conditions related to fire safety or a fire code violation inside or outside a private residential or public building to the Department of

Fire Prevention 24 hours a day at 724-588-3111.

Some common complaints received are non-working or non-existent smoke detectors, combustible trash accumulation, obstructed exit doors and Exit signs, damaged fire hydrants, and electrical hazards.

2. What is the fire insurance rating of the Borough of Greenville?

The Borough of Greenville maintains a Class 4 fire insurance rating (also known as the Public Protection Classification). The rating is determined by a survey conducted by the Insurance Service Office (ISO). ISO surveys the fire protection capabilities of the Borough of Greenville every 15 years. The survey includes three critical areas; (1) fire alarm handling which includes the 9-1-1 telephone system and dispatch capabilities, (2) the available water supply for fire protection and (3) the staffing and firefighting equipment maintained by the fire department.

ISO assigns a fire protection class number between 1 and 10 to the community. The lower the fire protection class number the better the rating. A low fire protection class number provides a financial benefit to property owners as it is used in figuring fire insurance premiums in that community.

3. Why are the caps and bonnets of fire hydrant painted different colors?

Fire hydrants are color coded to indicate the amount of water (gallons per minute) that is available from that fire hydrant. The gallons per minute are determined during flow testing of fire hydrants.

Fire hydrant color coding, as recommended by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Guideline No. 291, is as follows:

► Fire hydrant body - Chrome Yellow

► Caps and Bonnet

Class C Less than 500 GPM Red
Class B 500-999 GPM Orange
Class A 1000-1499 GPM Green
Class AA 1500 GPM & Above Light Blue

NOTE: In Greenville, fire hydrants that are painted all black are permanently shut off. Those that are painted silver and red flow less than 300 gpm.

Police Department Frequently Asked Questions

1. What are the requirements for a car seat? Booster seat?

Children under 4yoa. – Any person who transports a child under 4years of age anywhere in the motor vehicle shall fasten the child securely in a child passenger restraint system.

Children 4yoa – under 8yoa. – Any person who transports a child between 4 and 8 shall fasten the child securely in a fastened safety belt system and in an appropriately fitting child booster seat.

There are no set weight limits but exemptions can be made if there are physical reasons why the seats would be impractical.

2. What are the curfew hours during the school year? During the summer?

During the school year the curfew hours are;
Sunday evening – Thursday evening 10:00pm
Friday evening – Saturday evening 12:00am

During the summer when school is not in session;
Sunday evening – Thursday evening 11:00pm
Friday evening – Saturday evening 12:00am

3. How do I speak to an officer if the police station is not occupied?

Dial 911 and advise the county dispatcher that you would like to speak to one
Of the Greenville/West Salem Police Officers. The dispatcher will then advise an
officer to contact you by phone, or to go to your location to speak to you.

4. Who do I contact if I have a civil complaint?

Contact the District Magistrates office at 724-588-3210

If you are not sure if the problem in question is civil or criminal you may
contact the Police Department or the District Magistrates office. Any
criminal complaints please dial 911.

Public Works Frequently Asked Questions

1. Why do I have to get a permit to excavate on my property?
State law requires that you make the Pa. One Call every time you dig. The borough requires that you get an excavation permit when you are digging in the street right of way, street, alley or borough property.

2. Does the borough issue one call permits?
No they are issued by the Pa. One Call System (1 800-242 1776).

Waste Water Treatment Plant


Homes--human and household wastes from toilets, sinks, baths, dishwashers, garbage grinders, clothes washers and drains.

Industry, Schools, and Business--chemical and other wastes from factories, food-service operations, school activities, hospitals, shopping centers, etc.

Storm Water Infiltration and Inflow from Runoff and Groundwater--water that enters the sanitary sewer system during a storm, as well as groundwater that enters through cracks in sewers. The Borough of Greenville has one set of sewers for wastewater from homes and businesses (sanitary sewers) and a separate system for storm water runoff (storm sewers)

On the average, each person in the U.S. contributes 75-100 gallons of wastewater every day.

1. The most common questions and complaint is, why am I getting a sewage smell in my home.

There is always odor in the sanitary sewer system. It is not allowed to enter your home because of traps in your plumbing system. The trap lays full of water so the odor can not come into your home. In most situations of odor, water has evaporated from a basement drain that is rarely used, allowing fumes from the sewer to come into the home. Usually dumping a bucket of water into all basement drains will correct an odor problem.



Copyright © 2018 Borough of Greenville. | Content maintained and provided by Borough of Greenville.
Design by: Reeves Info Tech